In conjunction with the LawWorks & Attorney General Student Pro Bono Awards 2020
The Access to Justice Foundation is a national charity which, along with a network of local Legal Support Trusts, works to provide access to justice for the most vulnerable in society. It does this by raising funds and distributing them to organisations that provide free specialist legal advice and support to those in need who cannot afford it.
The Foundation is looking for nominations of educational bodies or students who have made significant contributions to the promotion of access to justice. A range of activities are eligible for the Award, including:
• Organising events or activities highlighting access to justice issues.
• Promoting wider issues around access to justice and the work of the sector in addressing these.
• Fundraising for access to justice causes including The Access to Justice Foundation and the Legal Support Trusts.
• Supporting the work of the free legal advice sector and access to justice organisations including the Access to Justice Foundation and the Legal Support Trusts.
• Participating in events and activities promoting access to justice such as the fundraising events of the Legal Support Trusts.
This award has been created in recognition of the vital importance of the varied support, as exemplified above, that free legal advice agencies receive that is not legal pro bono work. The Foundation is proud to celebrate these other forms of contribution.
The Award will recognise the vital importance and range of support that free legal advice agencies receive beyond legal pro bono work, as illustrated above.
Guidance for Nominations
The Access to Justice Foundation Award will be given to an individual or educational body which has, in the past 12 months or more:
• made a notable contribution to the promotion of access to justice
• made an impact on the free legal advice sector
• has done this through activities that are not providing free legal advice themselves
Please nominate any person or group that has, in your view, carried out fantastic work in promoting, supporting or fundraising for access to justice causes and made a valuable contribution to the sector.
How to nominate
You can nominate yourself or another law school or student by completing the nomination form below.
Please ensure that your contact details are included, should further information be required.
Submission deadline: Tuesday 17th March 2020 at midnight. Please note that under no circumstances can we accept late entries.
Judging and Awards Ceremony
All submissions are judged by representatives of the Foundation’s trustee board, which is chaired by Lord Peter Goldsmith QC.
Successful shortlisted candidates will be notified at the beginning of April and will be invited to attend the eleventh annual LawWorks & Attorney General’s Student Pro Bono Awards where they will be presented with an award by the Attorney General The Rt Hon Jeremy Wright QC MP. The Ceremony, hosted by His Honour Sir Robin Knowles CBE, will take place on Wednesday 29th April 2020, 4.00 – 6.00pm in the House of Commons.
For more information about the LawWorks & Attorney General Student Awards 2020, please see here.